How Your Lifestyle Can Cause Hearing Loss
The amount of young people experiencing hearing loss is increasing. While there can be multiple reasons for this, our modern lifestyles and activities can have a significant impact.
Ways You Can Negatively Impact Your Hearing
- Headphones – Generally, people attribute hearing loss from music to concerts or festivals. While these can certainly contribute, one of the most significant dangers to your hearing is your headphones. The amount of hearing loss experienced can be connected to how loud and how long you listen to something. Be sure to resist covering up background noise by turning the volume louder. Try to keep your noise level to under 60% of the volume.
- Earbuds – Earbuds fall into the same category as headphones. They can cause tremendous damage to your hearing and may even be worse than headphones. Because the sound is delivered right into the ear canal, it is closer to the eardrum than other headphones, which can increase the decibels by up to 9. As such, being aware of the volume you use your earbuds at is critical.
- Concerts – Most concert venues are much louder than they should be. Just one concert can cause noise-induced hearing loss. Bring some earplugs with you for your next show, and if you’re bringing children, look into noise-reducing earmuffs.
- Movie Theaters – Some movies can reach over 100 decibels, which is definitely enough to cause damage. Wearing hearing protection when you go to the theatre is advised to help protect your ears.
- Sporting Events – As with other events, sports games can get pretty loud. Hearing protection is important here as well.
- Restaurants and Bars – Conversations, music, and television in a restaurant can be noisier than you would like. If possible, ask your server to turn down the volume if you find it bothersome.
To help reduce the chances of acquiring hearing damage, custom ear protection can be used. This may be noise plugs, musician’s earplugs, or other devices suited for hearing protection. The professionals at Bravo Hearing Centre in Etobicoke know how important protecting your hearing is, and invite you to contact us should you experience any signs of hearing loss. Your hearing impacts nearly every aspect of your life, and it is for this reason that we aim to provide the best recommendations for your hearing health. Our team is committed to providing services and support based on the needs of each patient.
For more information on the services and solutions provided by the specialists at Bravo Hearing Centre, call us at 647-694-4626.