So You Want To Learn Sign Language?
Eager to learn sign language? Whether it is to communicate with a loved one or family member who is suffering from hearing loss or just something you’ve always wanted to master, adopting the right approach and technology can make it a satisfying experience.
Here are some tips to help you get started.
- You will have to learn signing concepts which include the alphabet and numbers before you get into the more complex vocabulary.
- As with learning any language, the best (and quickest) way to do it is to pretend there is no other form of communication for a while. Once you immerse yourself in it totally you’ll find it easier to learn.
- You can find almost anything you want to learn on the Internet, even sign language. Simple ‘Google’ your query and a number of options will come up, some of which are also on YouTube.
- If you’re the kind of person who prefers to learn from books and demonstration videos, you should be able to find a ton of resources in your local book store or library. It might be a good idea to review some of the resources online to speed up the process.
- The simplest way to speed up learning sign language is to increase your interaction with people who use it. You might be able to find clubs and centres where people who use it meet.
Patience and persistence will help you master the sign language. Aural rehabilitation or counselling centres also offer valuable advice on how to communicate effectively with the hearing impaired.