Living With Hearing Loss
In a world with increased stresses on our hearing, more people than ever are living with hearing loss. From slight to severe, hearing loss can result from loud work places, personal listening devices, like MP3 players, or loud home appliances.
What many hearing loss sufferers don’t realize is that their hearing damage might have resulted from a viral infection, blow to the head or other non-sound source.
Regardless of the cause, living with hearing loss poses unique challenges to sufferers and their supporters.
But knowing the nature of the hearing impairment can help you avoid further reduction in your hearing.
- Protect Your Hearing – Even if it means further reducing your ability to hear, wearing hearing protection in loud environments, where you don’t need to hear the sounds, will help you maintain your level of hearing. Just because you don’t hear it loudly doesn’t mean it isn’t affecting your hearing.
- Avoid Loud Noises – Whenever possible, don’t put yourself in loud situations. Again, just because it doesn’t sound loud to you, doesn’t mean it’s not hurting your hearing.
- Listen To Your Hearing – Keep track of your hearing and try to spot signs that it has changed. Also try to identify situations where you notice changes in your hearing.
Of course, living with hearing loss is much more than trying to stop further loss. Sufferers must learn to adapt to living without full use one of their five senses. This can mean learning to read lips, watching for other signs of sounds, like the reaction of other people or pets and also testing your hearing regularly so that you may always have the right assistive devices for your hearing problem.
The range of assistive devices makes it possible for the hearing impaired to more easily adjust to their new lifestyle. From amplified telephones to portable amplifiers, and a wide variety of hearing aids, there are many devices that can improve the quality of life of everyone with hearing impairments.
Bravo Hearing Centre can help you learn a lot more about your assistive hearing devices and living with your impairment. They offer specialized advice, counseling and aural treatment to restore crisp, clear sound from a variety of different types of hearing loss. Experience the difference our award winning (Etobicoke’s Best Hearing Services Award) services can make.
- Audiometric hearing testing to assess your needs
- Expert evaluations of your hearing test results
- A full range of top quality hearing aids and other Assistive listening devices like personal FM systems, alerting devices, portable personal amplifiers, voice carry over telephones and TTY/TDD devices improve your comfort and convenience
Learn more about living with hearing loss from the experts. Contact Bravo Hearing Centre today or call us at 416-207-9711